Tuesday, February 14, 2012

WIP Wednesday #5 Dresden plate for my Grandma

Well it's Wednesday again and I have a super special project that I am very excited to share with you all.   I interrupted my progress on my AB tube quilt to make my lovely Grandma a birthday present this week.  Monday was her 78th birthday, and I spent all day Sunday working feverishly to get her special gift done in time.  I made her a 35"x35" jumbo Dresden plate wall hanging quilt.  I chose fabrics I thought would look in place in her home and the Dresden plate because she loves applique.  This quilt was fun and easy to make, but I spent most of my time quilting it.  My Grandma has recently taken up free motion quilting, around the same time I did, 9 months ago, and she has been my biggest supporter and fan in this learning journey.  I took this opportunity to do my very best work for her- to show her what I could do and to inspire her to keep working at it.  She has already seen the pictures of this and it is in route to her now via the USPS- I simply can't wait until she gets it in person and it takes it's rightful place on one of her walls amongst all her own lovely quilts.  In a true expression of love I even hand sewed the binding - which is something I truly do not enjoy- but for her it had to be perfect.  It was a good week for accomplish goals- and the quilt is something I know will be cherished- which really makes me smile. 
Finished Projects: Dresden Plate mini quilt
In Progress: Amy Butler Tube quilt







I am linking to Lee at freshly pieced

10 comments:

  1. What a thoughtful, beautiful gift! And I hope when I reach your grandma's age, I'll still be quilting as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, yes she is an inspiration for sure!

      Delete
  2. Your dresden plate is lovely and the quilting is beautiful! What a great accomplishment in such a short time too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, while I would normally prefer to take my time I had her birthday as a deadline and I wanted to have it done for her, so it was a marathon sewing and quilting session for me.

      Delete
  3. I love dresden plates and yours is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special project, you should definitely be proud of this one! And that quilting is phenomenal!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I really enjoy quilting Dresden plates- I had a lot of fun with this one.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous quilting, it's perfect! And a grandma who is doing FMQ? That is so cool! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she started FMQ before I did and I saw her work and had to try it- it just clicked for me- thank you so much for your kind words.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful quilt, I'm sure your grandma will love it! It is neat that you both are quilting!

    ReplyDelete